If you’re a fan of maple syrup, you’re going to love maple cream. This rich and creamy spread is made from pure maple syrup and is perfect for spreading on toast, bagels, and more. In this article, we’ll take you through the steps to make your own maple cream at home.
What is Maple Cream?
Maple cream is a delicious spread made from pure maple syrup. It has a creamy, buttery texture and a rich, sweet flavor that’s perfect for adding to breakfast foods or desserts. Maple cream is made by boiling pure maple syrup until it reaches a specific temperature and then beating it until it thickens and becomes creamy.
To make maple cream, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
You’ll also need the following equipment:
- Candy thermometer
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Glass jar or container for storage
Follow these steps to make maple cream at home:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the pure maple syrup, heavy cream, and salt.
- Heat the mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan and continue cooking until the temperature reaches 235°F.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, pour the mixture into a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl if using a hand mixer.
- Beat the mixture on high speed for 5-7 minutes, or until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Pour the maple cream into a glass jar or container and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, the maple cream can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Tips for Making Maple Cream
- Use pure maple syrup for the best flavor and texture.
- Be sure to clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan to ensure that the mixture reaches the correct temperature.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat the mixture, as this will help it thicken and become creamy.
- Be patient while beating the mixture, as it can take a few minutes for it to thicken and become creamy.
Maple cream is a versatile spread that can be used in a variety of ways. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Spread on toast, bagels, or English muffins for a sweet breakfast treat.
- Use as a topping for pancakes or waffles.
- Drizzle over ice cream or yogurt for a sweet and creamy dessert.
- Use as a filling for cookies or pastries.
Can I use light cream instead of heavy cream?
Yes, you can use light cream instead of heavy cream, but the texture of the maple cream may not be as thick and creamy.
How long will the maple cream last?
The maple cream can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Can I make maple cream without a candy thermometer?
It’s recommended to use a candy thermometer to ensure that the mixture reaches the correct temperature, but you could try using a digital thermometer instead.
Can I add other flavors to the maple cream?
Yes, you can add other flavors to the maple cream such as vanilla extract or cinnamon. Just be sure to add them after the mixture has been beaten and has thickened.
Can I use maple-flavored syrup instead of pure maple syrup?
No, maple-flavored syrup is not the same as pure maple syrup and will not work in this recipe. It’s important to use pure maple syrup for the best flavor and texture.
Making your own maple cream is a fun and easy way to enjoy the sweet flavor of maple syrup in a new and delicious way. With just a few ingredients and some basic equipment, you can create a rich and creamy spread that’s perfect for breakfast or dessert.