Serves 4 to 6
1 ½ cup black quinoa
½ cup coconut oil
2 medium yellow onions, small dice
2 teaspoon sea salt
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons miso
2 teaspoons umeboshi paste
2 cups frozen shelled edamame
½ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup arrowroot
½ cup pumpkin seed powder
3 tablespoons coconut oil
3 medium shallots, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons arrowroot
1 teaspoon sea salt
24 whole wheat slider buns, split
2 ounces sprouts
2 avocadoes, cut into thin slices
hot sauce, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. In a strainer, rinse the black quinoa under cold water. Transfer to a second small saucepan and toast over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon until dry. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and
2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Stir, add the water, cover and cook on low for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Add more water if mixture becomes too dry.
- In a sauté pan, heat ¼ cup of the coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and 1 teaspoon sea salt; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until translucent, stirring frequently. Stir in minced garlic, cumin and coriander; cook for one minute. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, pulse 1 cup of the cooked black quinoa, miso and umeboshi paste until a coarse paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl. Fold in remaining 1 cup black quinoa, cooked onion mixture, shelled edamame, cilantro, and arrowroot.
- Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop, form uniform sliders and transfer to a parchment lined half sheet tray. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes, or until chilled. Dredge both sides in pumpkin seed powder, using strainer to shake off excess.
- In a nonstick sauté pan, heat the remaining ¼ cup of coconut oil over medium heat. Gently place the sliders into the pan in a single layer, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden, turning once.
- Crispy Shallots: Warm coconut oil in a medium sauté pan for 1 minute over medium heat. Lightly coat the shallots in the arrowroot, dusting off the excess. Gently add into pan, constantly stirring for 1 to 2 minutes until golden. Remove, blot on paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt.
- To assemble sliders, toast the whole-wheat slider buns until crisp. Add slider, and top with sprouts, avocado, crispy shallots, and hot sauce if using. Serve warm.